Civilization: The Board Game - Hulu Magazine
Video Games

Civilization: The Board Game

Game designer Kevin Wilson and the team at Fantasy Flight Games give an in-depth look at the new board game based on Sid Meier’s Civilization.

37 Comments

37 Comments

1. OurLifeOnFilm4110

November 29, 2011 at 1:17 AM

@CAPTAINxCOOKIES I made my point it's over, I can careless about your game and the fact you keep changing what you've said.. I'm sure anyone can figure it out if they were interested enough,but as she has stated she is a teacher, her kids are not gonna want to learn some drawn out dull game she has a right to that opinion. speaking of something not complex, her name starts with a Ms. clearly you must have forgot that is short for miss.. I'm done have a nice day..

2. CAPTAINxCOOKIES

December 1, 2011 at 2:32 AM

@OurLifeOnFilm4110 I think what you mean by forgot is I didn't review an unessential part of a comment i gave my 2 cents over.

3. Luminouskebab

January 2, 2012 at 11:43 PM

this game is brilliant, just did a 4 player game i won through domination!!its brilliant, just like playing the game on pc or ps3 just on a board, brilliant it just us def recommend it to eveyone its just too good

4. Guy Mitchell

January 8, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Civilization the board game was a real let down for me and my friends. We were expecting something far more playable and enjoyable. This board game lacked everything good about a strategic board game. It is too slow, too complicated and I'm sorry to say just not fun.

5. The Wikki

January 31, 2012 at 4:56 AM

I got this game and I love it! It took a while to interpret the rules though. After about 2 tries at the game we all finally understood (with the help of google) the rules and how to do certain things. Easily one of my favourite board games to date. My only complaint is the rule book is kind of lacking in description… enough that i had to google a lot of situations to be able to play properly.

6. apodino

February 12, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I love this game. We played it the other night and just as I was close to both a Military and a Tech Victory, one of my opponents took out another players capital for a military victory of her own. I am actually eager to try it with the expansion.

7. Daniel Lucy

March 23, 2012 at 4:05 PM

This game is super fun. My partner and I played it for the first time the other night, and cannot wait to play again. 😀

8. Landon Peltier

March 25, 2012 at 2:33 PM

DEFINETLY one of the best fantasy flight games out there

9. Landon Peltier

April 2, 2012 at 7:33 PM

uh……..no that's how it's supposed to be idiot

10. ZMJAYMUSIC

May 8, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Um, no offense but the computer game was complicated. this is 10 times harder since it's a board game. It's a waste of time and there is no point in this.

11. zincukfr

May 30, 2012 at 4:42 PM

The game isn't THAT complicated. Well it is compared to COD. But then eating cereal is complicated compared to COD. The new generation do like being spoon fed.

12. Marc Yarnall

June 2, 2012 at 10:43 PM

no offense, but it makes more sense to have a lan party with the actual video game than to play the board game…

13. BigT4203

July 18, 2012 at 8:34 PM

amazon.com

14. Juan Mendoza

September 19, 2012 at 3:46 AM

i wanna get this game… ive played the computer game with my friend… never this… dont know much about it might have a problem with remembering stuff u did cuz of how long it takes… im sure i can catch on quickly… looks so awesome though

15. Juan Mendoza

September 19, 2012 at 3:47 AM

didnt know there was a pac man board game either

16. maikelnaitaTube

October 1, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Where is the Spanish imperium?. Si es que no os tendriamos que haber descubierto. Tendriais que estar todavia con los arcos. Ahora os va a comprar el jueguecito vuestra p mulder. Cheers!

17. speedyblupi

October 26, 2012 at 1:32 PM

7 wonders is complicated, and the best board game I've ever played. How about you work out the rules, then when you have you can enjoy the game.

18. doboj calling

January 26, 2013 at 3:16 PM

5:01 KONAMI Rules 😀

19. Raine OShae

May 1, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Damnit.. my list keeps growing because you of ~adds another boardgame to amazon wishlist~ 😛

20. Josh Phillips

May 12, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Oh my god, it's "your"

21. C Delaune

May 18, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I know this comment is old but i just had to jump in on this bandwagon, @ Lorddude15, if you think civilization is complicated please dont ever try to play twilight imperium (board game) OR any of the new Total War games (computer) your brain might explode

22. drwhowho

June 14, 2013 at 5:17 PM

i don't like the mess of a map this game creates, it ruins the whole aspect of getting into the game

23. Shadowhunter206

June 19, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Anyone know the music in this?

24. Boardgamer PL

July 5, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I didn't have a problem with understanding this game.

25. ColCaffran

July 17, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Or any of Paradox Development Studio's grand stratagy games like Europa Universalis, which are more complex than the ones you mentioned.

26. MindinViolet

August 27, 2013 at 5:06 AM

I think that the Civilization series is definitely more complicated and has more involved mechanics that people are giving it credit for. I think because people have been playing it for years, they're just very used to it. Of course, there are even more complicated games out there, like Paradox's games, Dwarf Fortress, etc.

27. kraetyz

January 4, 2014 at 3:14 AM

This is probably my favorite board game of all time. It beats Cities & Knights (the Settlers of Catan expansion), it beats Ad Astra, it beats just. EVERYTHING. You wanted the Civilization experience in one evening? Hell yeah, you succeeded.

What amazes me most about Civ:TBG is that while the rulebook is 36 pages (50+ if you're playing with expansions), the game can be taught and taught easily to anyone familiar with strategy board games. As long as one person knows the game (and I happen to), that person can go through the important aspects of the game in basically no time.

One downside to it is the major setup time, but I mean, it's not Twilight Imperium, so it's not THAT bad.

Balanced, fun, and absolutely as addicting as the computer games. Well done, I love this game.

28. anelsonc1

February 15, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Too bad it's such a steep learning curve.

29. UltraAar

March 12, 2014 at 8:44 PM

way to dramatic, thought they were gonna cry multiple times throughout this video

30. ZuluPilot

April 25, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Stanley came to a set of two open tiles and entered the tundra on his upper left.

31. Diglett Power

May 4, 2014 at 2:47 AM

Jack from Lost is fat now: 1:13

32. Joshua St Amand

August 22, 2014 at 6:07 AM

Then 3 hours into the game, someone drops a nuke that they took from invading a village and crushes you on the spot.

33. kieranofthesand

July 27, 2015 at 5:47 AM

Does the wisdom and warfare expansion need the original to play???

34. Jeffrey Scarbrough

December 30, 2015 at 2:12 AM

have two different civilization games.

35. Dylan Martin

June 12, 2016 at 10:30 PM

I must say, its quite a fun game as you can bend the rules to make the game your own.

36. Aaron Cook

August 3, 2016 at 10:28 PM

@3:52 1, 2, 3, 6??

37. Linda Mullins

September 5, 2016 at 5:41 PM

Do anyone know where you can get replacement game pieces for Sid Meyer's Civilization?